Thursday, August 9, 2012

A little bit on failing






In the years I've been following blogs and writing my own I've been continually amazed by how people keep up with what's going on all around the web. I barely have the time to regularly read the blogs I do follow (sorry girls!...and some guys!), let alone keep up with my own blog, work, write my novel, and make jewelry. Oh, and let's not forget attempting to have a social life. It's just that there seems to be more and more going on in the world and I struggle to find a balance between staying connected and becoming too "plugged into the system."

A topic I've been hearing a lot of lately is that of failing (on any level). Brandi over at Not Your Average Ordinary just posted on the subject and I told her I recently heard James Cameron on Ted Talks speaking about his experiences with failure (video above). It's incredible to hear from his point of view given the amazing levels of creativity he has achieved with his form of art. I think the most inspiring idea I got from his talk was how he has taken NASA's motto of 'failure is not an option', and turned it around to say something like 'failure has to be an option'.

Another great thing he says is to not put limitations on yourself because other people will do that for you. It's so true, isn't it?! In other words, don't be afraid to fail, don't hold yourself back from taking risks. I think a big step toward this is learning to let go of things, which is something I have a hard time with. How can you possibly move forward in life and live big when you have all of these issues holding you back that you've never let go of?

Just a little something to think about.


No comments:

Popular Posts