I'm not sure I need any further inspiration than this photo for any outdoor space I'll have. I've always been in love with the idea of a pool (and, obviously, there could still be a pool in this backyard just out of sight), and I'm sure I'd use a pool, but I think I'd rather have a smaller yard like this in close proximity to a beach.
But who knows, maybe I'll end up in a city like New York where a backyard like this would most likely be a balcony, which would still be absolutely perfect.
In the spirit of inspiration for the unknown, here are a few more ideas for outdoor spaces that make me want to grab a book and curl up on a cushy chair in the sun.
I used this last one in my post for pools a year ago and it's one of my favorites from that post. I can imagine coming around the corner of the house and finding a secluded little oasis like the first picture.
You're my best friend, I know you are even though we've yet to meet, so I miss you. You are my lover, my friend, my partner in crime and all things silly and ridiculous. I can tell you everything and nothing at all. I accept you and understand you, as you do me. There isn't anything we can't do together because we make each other stronger.
Already I would do anything for you and that means being ready for you, even when I'm terrified I never will be. But I know you're waiting for me. Somewhere, right now, I know you are already ready for me, wondering where I am and when the hell I'm finally going to show up. It's not just a feeling anymore. I know this.
So you'll know when we finally meet, and you're real and solid and I can touch your face, and smell your skin that I wasn't holding us up on purpose. Apparently I have some shit to figure out. Still.
(Yes, I know. Don't even say it.)
Your best friend,
I love that I don't have to hope or worry that you'll wait. I know I'll never have to ask that of you.
I have to share music when I'm obsessed (well, I share everything and anything when I'm obsessed :), and I can't stop listening to Glass Animals. This particular song, Toes, is the one that made me stop and take notice on Pandora. The song comes from their debut album, Zaba, which came out last year. You can listen to the whole album here.
P.S. I just love that one of the first lines is "Welcome to my zoo."
Today being the day I celebrate having spent 31 years on this planet, I thought I'd share some things I've learned in that time. Some of these little nuggets of wisdom are my opinion and may not apply to you, but most, I think, are worth sharing.
1. Your friends are the family you choose.
2. Relieving stress is all about the exhale.
3. People don't change. You can only evolve.
4. Not everyone will like you (and, God only knows, you won't like everyone you meet), and that's okay.
5. Generosity is the key to loving relationships (and I mean all of them, not just your other half).
6. Honesty really is the best policy. (Not always the best solution, though.)
7. You don't have to be besties with your co-workers. In fact, don't even go there.
8. For me personally, yoga is the best workout I've found so far.
9. We already have everything we need within us, we just have to remember.
10. Asking the universe for what you want really does work. It's like magic.
11. Vegas totally is as awesome as everyone says it is.
12. I love Disney more and more the older I get.
13. Inspiration is EVERWHERE!
14. Putting your feelings on paper is like therapy.
15. There is nothing more theraputic for a woman than time spent with her girlfriends.
16. Massages are essential.
17. Book stores are my church, stories my religion, and music my soul.
18. Sleep is the key to good health.
19. Most things you hated as a kid: baths, naps, early bedtimes, you love more the older you get.
20. You will never, ever find the same kind of meaningful relationship as the one you have with your sibling(s).
21. Our dreams and beliefs are like the stepping stones that get us through life. Don't ever sacrifice them for someone else.
22. Worry is poison.
23. Fear is essential. You can't have courage without fear.
24. There is nothing wrong with crying. Crying is to your soul what sweat is to your body.
25. Everyone has a dark side. There can't be light without the dark.
26. Find the things in life you are passionate about. Without passion your soul withers like a flower.
27. Life is not about being right. It's about what you can give to others.
28. When it comes to opinions, no one is ever right or wrong. They are simply different opinions.
29. If you didn't grow up with traditions, then start your own. They make life more memorable, and give you something to look forward to.
30. Words are so powerful they really can hurt.
31. The grass is never, ever greener. Don't waste your time comparing yourself or your life to someone else.