Monday, September 26, 2016

Fall inspiration

 photo pantone-color-of-the-year-fall-2016.jpg

In honor of Fall I thought I'd share some fun ways to spice up a room for the new season incorporating some of the above selected Pantone colors. I wanted to start with a piece of art and I didn't mean to get so literal with Fall, but I'm a sucker for cityscapes and I think this piece from ZGallerie can translate into any season.


 photo Fall color board pic.jpg

From the art selection I picked a paint color. It just happens that Sherwin Williams has already named their color for 2017, "Poised Taupe", which I thought worked really well with the art and creates a really warm, inviting atmosphere. It's actually a really versatile color. As Sherwin Williams says: "This timeless neutral is modern, classic and a beautiful balance of warm and cool."

Paint can be a really obvious way to change up a room, but there are times -- like when you rent, for instance -- that this just isn't possible. Another big way to make a statement in a room is with an area rug and I'm completely addicted to rugs from ABC Home. I will admit these aquasilk rugs like the one I chose are an expensive statement, but they do have sales and sometimes you can get lucky with the rugs on clearance. These are high quality rugs that would be well worth the investment.

The living room just made sense to choose as an example for this post because, after your bedroom, your living room should be the most comfortable room in the house. Arhaus has some gorgeous sectional sofas and my favorite is the Truffle pictured above. What better place to get cozy in the colder months? Of course, throw pillows are the easiest and most cost effective way to update a room. There are so many great colors in the art and the rug to pull from and you can change up the pillow covers all year round. I had to throw in that gorgeous skull pillow from Arhaus for Halloween.

Lighting can make a huge difference in a room. The general rule is to have three different sources of light in one room (overhead, table, ambience, direct, etc). Table lamps are the most fun, in my opinion, and I love this Kelton lamp from Crate & Barrel, but even Ikea has some great affordable table lamps.

Last, but not least, I added some scented candles. One of my favorite things growing up was the smell of cinnamon candles in the fall and pine in the winter for Christmas. Not only can they create a mood with scent, but also with that soft, warm light. These candles from West Elm have the added appeal of stylish glass votives that you can use even when the candle is done.

Happy decorating!



No comments:

Popular Posts