Thursday, August 19, 2010

Didn't see that one coming...

So my mom found out about this small art gallery in Ventura called Studio 6 and convinced me to take some of my art over there yesterday. I was really hesitant to because I was afraid it wouldn't be what they were looking for and I'm not good at taking negative criticism when it comes to my art. My writing is one thing; I know when it needs work and that's something that can always be improved (not to mention, not everyone is always going to like what you write), but my art is a VERY personal and emotional thing and I don't do it very often anymore. In fact, the last two pieces I did were gifts so I don't even have them anymore.

Anyway, I've never sold any of my art (although, I had one piece at the VC Fair a few years back and got an offer from someone. That was flattering) and I've never shown anything in a gallery. Needless to say, the whole experience was rather nerve-racking, but I tried not to think much about it and just handed over my work. Turns out the two sisters that own the place (it's brand new. Just opened a few days ago) are really nice and they liked the portraits I've done: one of Orlando Bloom and one of Meg Ryan.




Orlando is actually the one I'm the most proud of. I'm not sure if I can part with that one, so one of the owners suggested I go and have prints made and even have card-sized prints for people who aren't willing to spend a lot, but like the piece. I had never even thought of that before, so I'll be checking that out at Kinko's today. Any suggestions of where else I can go to get really good prints made of original art?

I was actually really excited when I left the gallery because there's this whole new possibility for me that I'd never thought much about. I've thought about selling my art before, maybe on Etsy - which I think I'll definitely do now, just so people can see what else I do - but I was never really serious about it. I've been worried about my unemployment running out and my book not being done yet, and what am I going to do when I have to get a job again....I don't want to do Interior Design fulltime anymore, but that's another thing I can do on the side like the art.

We'll see what happens with the gallery. I'll have to wait a few months most likely until some spots open up and until then, I'll be working on more portraits. My friend has been wanting me to draw Jensen Ackles so I'll start there, and I've always wanted to draw Angelina Jolie and Dave Grohl. I actually got really excited yesterday and started looking up good photos to draw.

See more of my art here. And if you're interested in any of my art, please feel free to email me!

1 comment:

2 by Design said...

Amanda, that drawing of OB is AMAZING. Seriously, I thought it was a photo! The gallery owners are right - you need to get yourself out there, girl!

Popular Posts