Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sketchtravel

Yesterday my coworker handed me this book and told me to look at it from beginning to end before passing it along so the whole office can see it.


The original sketch book, auctioned off in 2011 in Belgium


Sketchtravel started as the idea of Gerald Guerlais and Dice Tsutsumi to pass around one sketchbook between mutual artists. The book became a world wide project that lasted over five years, traveled 75,000 miles, and included 71 artists (including the founders) in illustration, painting, animation, and comics. The main rule was that the book be passed along in person.

When the book was finished and auctioned off on October 17, 2011, it sold for over $97,000. The proceeds went to Room to Read, a charity that the artists chose, which opened five libraries (in Cambodia, Laos, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam) and published one new children's book in each country. The organization strives to "work in collaboration with communities and local governments across Asia and Africa to develop literary skills and a habit of reading among primary school children."

The mass production copy of the book was published by Chronicle Books and can now be purchased around the world. Each illustration is accompanied by a photo of the artist and a quote on their experience of being involved in the project. It also tells the whole story of how Sketchtravel started and the whole journey afterward. I can't even tell you how amazing this sketchbook is, you have to see all of these incredible drawings for yourself. But here's a little sneak peek (from Gallery Nucleus):

the cover page listing all the artists by Robert Kondo

one of my favorites by Jerome Opena. I can't stop looking at it.

 
My coworker pointed out that it would make a great coffee table book. I would have to agree, and I can't wait to buy my own copy.

No comments:

Popular Posts