Thursday, November 3, 2011

Temeraire and a Magical Halloween

I started typing up this post last month and never finished because things got a little hectic. I had all four wisdom teeth pulled (so glad I don't ever have to do that again) and three cavities filled. I had the top two pulled in two sessions with my cavities and, let me just say I do not suggest anyone do it this way because I think I would have rather had all four done at the same time. I haven't eaten much solid food in a month.

Then, some time in October, I decided, after all the rejections I was getting, that perhaps my dragon story really wasn't as ready as I'd thought and I needed to do more work on it. This stressed me out to the max because my unemployment will be ending in a matter of months and I had planned on already having an agent (yes, I know, I'm ambitious). Needless to say, I had to start rethinking my plan, but things rarely ever go as planned. It's part of life to learn this lesson, and it's also never good to put all your eggs in one basket. Just my words of advice for today.

Anyway, my story was stressing me out and everyone kept telling me to just take a break, so that's just what I've been doing. Halloween came up and this year was one of the most fun and entertaining Halloween's I've ever had. I dressed up as Lady Luck and also spent the two weeks leading up to Halloween helping my brother make a Max from Where The Wild Things Are costume:


We went to a friend's house party on Friday night and then went to the Magic Castle in Hollywood on Saturday night, which I had never been to. It was an absolutely awesome night and I wish to go there every Halloween because everyone that's there is totally into it just like me! We couldn't take pictures inside, so I can't show you any of it, but if you ever get the chance to go, you must! It's an amazing place!

And, before I update you on some of my recent reading, November is time for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which I also participated in last year. I'll be focusing on writing a story about a scientist named Jake who is the son of a killed CIA agent. After his mother's mysterious death he has to put the pieces together to figure out who killed her and his father years before. And then, in December, I'll get back to my dragon story...


 

I'd heard of this series quite some time ago and have never gotten around to reading them due to my YA obsession (this is an adult sci/fi series), but I finally bought the first three for my birthday. These are the first three in a, so far, seven book series, but I'm not sure I'll keep reading after book three. The books are very well written, but I'm just not sure they're my thing. Mainly, when I think of dragons I think of magic and there isn't any of that in these stories. The author studied the Napoleonic wars, in which time these stories are set, and are very much centered in reality. So the dragons are much like any other animal, with the obvious exception that they can speak and are just as intelligent (if not more) as humans. I would recommend them if you're really into historical fiction.

P.S. I most likely won't be posting much this month because of NaNoWriMo so have a lovely November!

No comments:

Popular Posts