Friday, November 22, 2013

11/22/63

JFK and Jackie in Texas 50 years ago
 
Ever since I read 11/22/63 by Stephen King (the website for the book is awesome, by the way) I feel like I've become more interested in the lives of JFK and Jackie Kennedy Onassis. I actually started reading Mrs. Kennedy and Me when I was a member of a book club and found that she and I share the same birthday. I'm always fascinated by that kind of thing.
 
Where the assassination of JFK is concerned, there is an unusual fascination in this country that easily surpasses obsession. I'm not sure I've met one person who is satisfied with the idea that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. There are numerous conspiracy theories, but this article from CNN gives a good idea of which ones are the most popular, as well as one that might actually be plausible.
 
There have also been numerous books, movies, documentaries, and TV specials on the subject, the most famous being Oliver Stone's JFK, which had me convinced that Oswald was not the only person involved in Kennedy's assassination. I'm also interested in watching the National Geographic movie, Killing Kennedy, which will be showing tonight at 6pm pacific, 9pm eastern.
 
As far as ceremonies go, Dallas will not be the only city remembering JFK's death today. USA Today lists seven other cities that will be hosting an event for the 50th anniversary.

No comments:

Popular Posts