Thursday, January 16, 2014

Dinner Party: Part 4


I had to admit that dessert was amazing. I couldn’t recall the taste of my dinner and whether I’d enjoyed it or not, but the Baklava was delicious. The evening had just become eventful when Lida stood from her chair and stomped down to Robert’s studio. He and Alex had hardly eaten dessert and escaped downstairs when Lida was preoccupied in the kitchen. Now, those of us remaining stared after Lida in wild anticipation of the drama we would no doubt be witnessing shortly.
            “Should someone go down there?” Juliet asked, the concern clear on her face.
            I snorted just as Luke said, “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
            “They’ll sort it out,” Henry said.
            I stood and had to steady myself on Luke’s chair, who tried not to notice. “I’m going to use the little girl’s room.”
            Lida’s powder bathroom was nicer than a bathroom in a five-star hotel. Its high ceiling, dark, shiny marble walls, and dim lighting set a sexy ambiance I was not in the mood for.
            I crossed the hall to the library, which I knew had excellent lighting, but decided I’d rather hide in the dark gloom on the plush sofa than be subject to bright lights.
            I heard someone in the bathroom, and then Henry was standing in the doorway.
            “Hiding, are we?”
            How perceptive.
            “So,” he said, sitting at the opposite end of the sofa, “you want to tell me what’s really going on with you?”
            My heart immediately began racing in my chest. The feeling did not jive with how drunk I was. I could feel the heat spreading to my face and was extra thankful I hadn’t turned on the lights. “What do you mean?”
            “Come on, you know what I mean. You haven’t spoken to me in over a month and now you’re avoiding me like the plague.”
            Should I tell him? Oh my God, I’m going to tell him and I can’t stop myself.
            “I…it’s hard for me to talk to you now.”
            “Why? This doesn’t have anything to do with Juliet, does it?” His voice turned hopeful. “Just because I have a girlfriend doesn’t mean I can’t still spend time with you. You’re my best friend. Nothing’s going to change that.”
            “I’m not sure how Juliet would feel about that.”
            “I told you earlier she wants to get to know you.”
“You said she wants to spend time as a group, not that she was okay with just the two of us hanging out. Are you really taking her to meet your parents already?” The last part slipped out of its own accord.
He started shifting uncomfortably. "Well, no. I mean, it was an idea, but I think she took it seriously, like we're going now."
"And you don't want that yet?"
"I think it's too soon. I don't know, don't you think that's too soon?"
"Probably. It's definitely fast for you. I mean, are you really serious about her?"
We had both lowered our voices, leaning in closer to each other. At my question he pulled back, his hand going unconsciously to his hair. "I don't know. I like her. I just...don't know."
The door to the library opened wide and light spilled into the room. I hadn't even realized Henry had closed it that far. Juliet stood there, looking like she couldn't decide between crying and yelling. My heart dropped into my stomach like a fifty pound weight. I felt like I might puke. Why in the world should I feel so guilty?
Henry stood like he'd just received an electric shock from the sofa.
"Is that really how you feel?" she said, her voice on the verge of shrill. "You don't know if you're serious about me?!"
"I...well, I mean, yes, but," Henry sputtered, "that's not a bad thing."
Oh, Jesus.
"Not a bad thing?!" Juliet was clearly choosing yelling over crying. "Then why are you telling her about it instead of me?!"
Now it was my turn to get shrill. "Hay!"
"I've known Clara a long time," Henry said, pleading. "It's easier to talk to her sometimes."
"Great," Juliet said, breaking down into tears. "Maybe she should be your girlfriend then!" She practically ran from the room.
Henry took one desperate look at me before going after her.
Just perfect. I was going to tell him!
How was it possible to be disappointed and relieved at the same time?


...to be continued.



P.S. If you haven't been following my story, you can read the first three parts here. I will have the next part of the story in two weeks (Jan. 30th)! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Popular Posts