Friday, August 9, 2013

Mystery

the British edition

I haven't commented on any of the books I've been reading lately, and I've read some really good ones (like the Mortal Instruments series-I adore those books). Mainly I'm just tired. I haven't felt like writing. I haven't even felt up to working on my own novel, which is disappointing because I was really on a roll. And then life happens (i.e. you have neighbors that cause you such extreme anxiety you end up at the doctor, on medication). I've been getting through life day by day, or really more like hour by hour.

But books are my continual escape, and I certainly know I won't be having any anxiety attacks while my mind is preoccupied in another world. I read The Cuckoo's Calling in about a week, and when I was not reading it I found myself wishing I was. I don't read murder mysteries (at least, I haven't in a very long time; I used to read Mary Higgins Clark), so I wouldn't call myself the most reliable source as to how good the book is on that count, but I do watch a lot of crime/murder mystery shows so I know I'm not completely without an opinion. (Then again, I'm a huge J.K. Rowling fan, so I'm biased. But just to reassure you that I'm not only into this book because of the author, I will admit I did not really enjoy The Casual Vacancy.)

One thing I will say is that I had no idea who the killer was until the very end. I had a few guesses and was wrong on all counts. The story was entertaining and, in my opinion, like every J.K. Rowling novel, very well plotted and character driven. Her writing is so concise; the way she gives just the right amount of details and exactly the right ones at the right times. And how she can describe a character (not just what they're wearing or their generic eye or hair color, but who they are as a person) in just a sentence. Yes, I'm in love with J.K. Rowling. And I think I might be reading more mystery novels from now on.

1 comment:

Josephine said...

I finally started reading this book this week. I'm not super far in, but I like it so far. I agree that JKR has a knack for characterization! Also, sorry about your neighbors! Yuck.

Popular Posts