Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pride and Prejudice


I finished Pride and Prejudice the other night (man, am I going through books quickly lately!). I just didn't want to put it down, I loved it so much. I have never seen any of the movie adaptations so my opinion of the story and the characters was completely untainted and I felt like Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail how she says she's always in suspense "wondering wether or not Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy are ever going to get together". I loved it, loved it, loved it! How I have never read all these classics before, I have no idea. I blame it on my crappy high school education. 

Anyway, I'm in love with Jane Austen's writing and I've already made a trip to the library to get Sense and Sensibility (and no, I have not seen that movie either lol). I plan to read all her books once I've finished with all the available Michael Scott Alchemist series books, which I'm reading the second one of now. I loved the subjects and ideals that Jane Austen touches on in this book, like first impressions and what it really means to be a gentleman (and a lady, for that matter). I love Elizabeth Bennet. It's easy to believe that Jane Austen herself was much like Elizabeth. She has this beautiful balance of intelligence and still being a lady (and a very pretty one at that). It was alot of fun to read the arguments and banter between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth because they are both so intelligent and equally matched.

At this point, this is, by far, one of my favorite books. And if you like books like Twilight (it's not difficult to see where Stephenie Meyer got her inspiration for Edward) you'll like this one, especially if you're patient enough to get through the old english (which I must say, is so worth it. My vocabulary is already substantially stronger, which makes my writing all the better and easier). It's a lovely, lovely story and I'm excited to read her other books as well!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I need to read this book. And the relationship of Darcy to Edward...I think you're right on.

Popular Posts