Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Where I come from

me and my brother on Hollywood Beach, Oxnard around 1992


Jenni from Story of My Life, has put together another awesome challenge for the month of September: Blogtember. The first topic was to describe where or what I come from; the people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who I am. September 3rd was just not a day I felt in the right frame of mind to discuss this topic, so I'm making an attempt now.

I come from California (I was born in Provo, Utah, but moved to Cali when I was 2). I come from spending my days outside in the sand, in the pool, in the sun. I come from Saturday morning cartoons with my brother (Batman and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles come to mind), legos, polly pockets, and a time when Barbies were still cool. I come from Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones, and Madonna. And then there was Nsync. I'll never forget Nsync, nor will I ever stop loving their music.

I come from a broken family; my parents were divorced when I was 5. I come from split Christmases: step-siblings and presents I didn't want, to mounds of presents for just my brother and I (and everything on my Christmas list). I've seen both sides of life: being broke and having everything money can buy; and everything in between. I come from learning to pack a suitcase for every-other weekend from elementary school to high school. I come from a pieced-together family (because blood related doesn't always equate family). I come from two parents who are such polar opposites I had to find my own middle ground, which, in a nutshell, describes me perfectly.


No comments:

Popular Posts